Fish search

Thursday, October 17, 2013

Proper Maintenance of Your Koi Fish Ponds

The day that I sat down with my wife and sons to create the design of my koi pond project I felt like one of those guys on the home improvement shows. I had created a magnificent design and simply wanted to get perfunctory approval from my wife and kids; perhaps even get a hushed but audible "wow!" or "neat!" from the boys as I unfurled the plan.

I had budgeted around $5,000 for the project and needed to make sure that I got all the necessary people on board. The reaction was mixed to say the least. I had a ally in my oldest son. My three and a half year old was more interested in me restocking the office aquarium. He got very excited until he found out that the fishes were not going in into my office.

The biggest concern my wife had with care and maintenance of koi ponds is the cost of care and maintenance of koi ponds. We researched the kinds of filters and replacements for filters, the cost of pumps and replacement parts as well as wiring and excavation costs. My project budget called for an 8 foot by 8 foot pond surrounded by a rock and gravel path and seating area. I was going to be doing the excavation myself with the help of my brother in law.

We ended up creating a larger 10 by 12 foot pond that went to four feet deep to accommodate three to four adult koi (eventually). The space also accommodated spawning. Koi are famous breeders so I had to alter my plans. Initially I wanted to get one koi and tested the system. The quality of the fish is also important as you might spend a lot on the environment and select a poor quality koi in order to stock the pond. This can lead to disease spreading among your new school and costly remedies.

We wanted adequate water replenishment and reliable filtration so we went with a better pump and filtration system than I originally intended. The importance of fresh water and clean space for the koi fish made the cost of the koi pond more expensive than I imagined. The personal labor involved also became more time consuming.

Overall, my pet project became our family project for six months and cost twice my original estimate (I forgot to include the cost of the fish and food). Am I sorry I got myself into this? Not a chance. There's a beauty and serenity that overwhelms you when sitting by your koi garden pond; it is worth the price.

Be sure to focus on getting the best possible filtration and pumping system when planning your koi pond; your investment will be secured for years to come if you do.

Dennis is a koi fish enthusiast who finds peace in tending to his koi fish pond. You can get free practical information and personal observation on caring for koi at http://didarticles.com/koi

No comments:

Post a Comment