Fish search

Thursday, November 14, 2013

My Favorite Saltwater Aquarium Shrimp

I own a few different sized tanks and I have shrimp in all of my tanks. I have the scarlet skunk cleaner shrimp, a tiger pistol shrimp and also a fire shrimp. The next tank I'm going to get will have a mantis shrimp. I can't put him in any of the tanks that I have now so he will have to come later. I like each one for different reasons.

The Scarlet skunk cleaner shrimp is really funny to watch. When you put food in to feed them they will come and eat out of your hand. When they come and eat out of your hand it tickles with all those little feet on your skin.They have two bright red stripes down there back and the rest of them is white to almost a clear color. What they do is clean the fish of dead skin and parasites. It is funny since it looks like they are hiding then they jump the fish and just start to clean them.

The pistol shrimp is cool because they are really small with a really big popping sound caused by there claw. One of their claws are bigger than the other and this is the one they stun there prey with. The pooping sound send a shock wave towards their food and it either kills it if really small or stuns it so they can eat it. One weird fact is they have very poor vision. So they will in list the help of a goby to help them. The goby will act as a guard for the shrimp and in return the shrimp will share both its home and food.

Fire shrimp are a beautiful bright red color with two white spots on its tail. They are a lot like the scarlet cleaner shrimp except there coloring is different. Fire shrimp clean the tank of left over food and poo. This helps keep the tank clean and helps rid the tank of unwanted nitrates. They will also clean the fish just like the cleaner shrimp.

The last one I am going to get is a peacock mantis shrimp. I will have to get an acrylic tank so they don't break it. The mantis shrimp and the pistol shrimp have the claw thing in common except their attack is a lot louder and harder. The mantis can crack a snail shell with in one to two hits. They will eat any thing that is small enough that they can eat. This includes snails, shrimp or even fish. These are the reasons I like saltwater shrimp. I hope you will like them to.

If you would like more information on shrimp [http://saltwatershrimp.knowwizard.com/] try my site. And I also have a page on mantis shrimp [http://saltwatershrimp.knowwizard.com/mantis-shrimp/].

No comments:

Post a Comment