Fish search

Friday, August 16, 2013

Could This Be the Reason Why You Have a Cloudy Fish Tank?

Having a fish tank is a great hobby. I can literally watch the fish for hours without getting tired of it. But one day something occurred, that spoiled the fun in no time: cloudy fish tank water! At first, there seemed to be only a blur, but soon the water started to become more and more opaque. Of course I tried to stop it by simply changing the stained water - with no effect at all. It took only one or two days until the new water was cloudy again and it was getting worse every time!

The reason for my cloudy fish tank was a bacterial bloom. But why did millions of bacteria spread throughout the aquarium and turned the fresh water into a blurry pool?

Luckily, I soon found the cause. In my desire to create a perfect aquarium, I broke an important rule: Never put too many fish into a single fish tank! The excrement of fish contains nutrients for bacteria.

Don't get me wrong. It's totally natural to have bacteria in your fish tank and it's impossible to get rid of them completely, but if you offer them too much food they will reproduce until your water is an opaque and unhealthy mess. Normally the filter would keep their number at a healthy level, but if the bacteria reproduces faster than the filter can remove them you have a problem.

After I finally figured it out, I separated some of my beloved fish and settled them in a new aquarium. I also changed about a third of the water in the cloudy fish tank and soon after, the water became clear and healthy again.

Sure, there are many more reasons for your water to become dirty, but one cause of a cloudy fish tank is an imbalance between the number (and size!) of your fish and the amount of water in their aquarium. Consult a professional or some books on proper fish keeping - your aquatic friends will thank you!

Learn effective ways to get rid of cloudy fish tank water forever! Educate yourself about proper fish care. You cannot effort to make a mistake like this again! Click here for a review of a quality fish guide.

No comments:

Post a Comment